Utah Division of
Forestry, Fire & State Lands

Utah Department of Natural Resources

Frequently Asked Questions

What are Sovereign Lands?
Lands lying below the ordinary high water mark of navigable waterways at statehood.
What does navigable mean?
Used or susceptible for use as a highway for commerce over which trade and travel are or may be conducted in the custmory modes of trade and travel on water. 
How do I get a Christmas Tree or wood cutting permit?
Go to our Christmas Tree Permit page for more information.
Where do I go to learn how to fight wildland fires?
The Utah Fire and Rescue Academy provides training for firefighters. Please refer to their website for more information.
Where can I find a job as a wildland fire fighter?
Our Division's main fire fighting resource is the Lone Peak Conservation Center. Please refer to their website for more information on fire fighting jobs.
How can I help rehabilitate areas that have been burned by forest fires?
Each land owner will have their own rehabilitation plans for their respective areas. Please contact the specific land owner for more information. USFS lands, BLM lands, State Trust Lands and Private lands.