The Division of Forestry, Fire & State Lands provides assistance to private landowners with forested acreage. There are two programs designed to inform and assist forest landowners. The Forest Stewardship Program is designed to assist private landowners in using sound principles of forested land management. A forester in your area can provide advice and guidance that can not only ensure the long-term productivity of your private forest, it can also guard against the pitfalls encountered by private forestry operations.
The Division’s Forest Legacy Program is designed to protect and manage, for future generations, environmentally important forest areas that are threatened by conversion to non-forest uses. Conservation easements are used to achieve this goal with priority given to lands which:
- are threatened by future conversion to non-forest uses
- maintain forest sustainability
- protect and enhance water quality and water supplies
- protect wildlife habitat and maintain habitat connectivity for biodiversity
- maintain and restore riparian areas, and
- assist in maintaining the cultural and economic vitality of rural communities