Trees are Terrific and Need Our Care!
- Teach today's children - tomorrow's leaders- about the importance of trees in our lives.
- Recognize childrens' creativity and show them how they can help the environment.
- Provide Utah educators with teaching materials about trees and their value in our environment.
- Arbor Day Poster Contest instructional video
- Eligibility: All Utah students in grades K-6 plus Special Education* are eligible to enter their schools' poster contest. Each school may submit one poster per grade to the State Arbor Day Contest.
- Theme: Include the theme, "Trees are Terrific and Need Our Care!" in the poster design. The theme must be free drawn and spelled correctly. Stencils, computer-generated letters and press-on letters are not acceptable. Check out the poster contest video.
- Participation Guidelines
- Official Contest Rules
- Online School Registration form
- or download School Registration Form (PDF file can be submitted by email using the email button on form.)
- Poster Entry Form
- School Report Form
- Northern region: Rich, Cache, Box Elder, Weber, Morgan, Davis, Summit and Daggett counties.
- Central region: Tooele, Salt Lake, Utah, Wasatch, Duchesne and Uintah counties.
- Southern region: Millard, Juab, Sanpete, Piute, Sevier, Beaver, Kane, Washington, Garfield, Iron, Carbon, Emery, Grand, Wayne and San Juan counties.
- School Contests: Each school must arrange for judging and prizes in its individual school contest. Each school may submit only one poster from each grade, K-6 and Special Ed, to the Utah Arbor Day Committee. Maximum poster entries is 8 per school.
- Regional Contests: State Arbor Day judges will select one region winner for each grade, K-6. One of these will be judged best of region.
- State Contest: Regional winners will be finalists in the state contest. Judges will select a statewide winner for each grade. Judges will choose a grand prize winner from the seven statewide winners.
- School Registrations: Schools must register for the Utah Arbor Day Contest by February 27, 2013-the deadline was extended.
- School Contests: Schools administer poster contest to determine best posters for each grade level. This should be completed by March 19, 2013
- State/Regional Contest: Schools must
deliver winning posters by March 22, 2013 to:
Utah Arbor Day Committee
Division of Forestry, Fire & State Lands
1594 W North Temple Suite 3520
PO Box 145703
Salt Lake City, UT 84114-5703
For further information contact Meridith Perkins at 801-538-5505 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Impartial judges for the regional and state contests are selected by the Utah Arbor Day Committee. Winners will be notified April 1-5, 2013. Judging is based on the following criteria:
- Theme: How well the theme "Trees are Terrific and Need Our Care!" is used in the poster. Check out Alex and Carrie the Cottonwood video as they introduce the theme.
- Design: Originality, composition, color and technique.
- Suitability for Reproduction: The grand prize poster will be professionaly printed for statewide and national distribution. Bright colors, clear lettering and good spelling are important.
(Home schools are not eligible for school prizes)
- Best of Region (three): $500 for each winner's school.
- All Participating Schools: $50 tree coupon to purchase and plant a tree as part of school Arbor Day celebration
- State Grand Prize: Nursery gift card, framed poster, Arbor Day T-shirt, certificate signed by the Governor and other prizes. Utah's grand prize poster will be professionally printed and sent to schools and Arbor Day celebrations throughout the state.
- State Winners: Nursery gift card, framed poster, Arbor Day T-shirt, certificate signed by the Governor and other prizes.
- Regional Winners: Nursery gift card, Arbor Day T-shirt, certificate and other prizes.
- All Regional Entries: Honorable Mention Certificate and pencil.
State first place winners and the grand prize winner will be invited to participate in the state Arbor Day ceremony on April 26, 2013. Best of Region winners will be recognized at their school celebration. All winners artwork will be highlighted on our website.
The Utah Arbor Day Committee has partnered with Project Learning Tree to provide four (4) free, age appropriate activities to use along side the Arbor Day Poster Contest. Activities include: Adopt a Tree, Plant a Tree, Forest for the Trees and 400 Acre Wood.
These free activities are limited to registered school coordinators only and require a login and password. If you are participating in the poster contest and need a login and password, please contact Nicole Dennison.
Teachers' Guide to Arbor Month
- Entire Guide- Grades K-6th (41.1 M)
- Introductory Pages (7.3 M)
- Kindergarten (3.9 M)
- First Grade (3.9 M)
- Second Grade (3.3 M)
- Third Grade (3.7 M)
- Fourth Grade (4.2 M)
- Fifth Grade (4.0 M)
- Sixth Grade (4.8 M)
- Appendix/Resources (6.0 M)