Arbor Day Poster Contest
The Utah Division of Forestry, Fire & State Lands along with several partnerships holds an Annual Arbor Day Poster Contest for elementary aged children. Please click on the tabs below for more information about the poster contest. Also, check out the menu to the left for background information and past winners.
The 2017 Utah Arbor Day Poster Contest Theme is
Trees are Terrific Storytellers of the Past!
- Teach today's children - tomorrow's leaders- about the importance of trees in our lives.
- Recognize children's creativity and show them how they can help the environment.
- Provide Utah educators with teaching materials about trees and their value in our environment.
- Eligibility: All Utah students in grades K-6 plus Special Education* are eligible to enter their schools' poster contest. Each school may submit one poster per grade to the State Arbor Day Contest. If we receive more than one poster per grade than the entire school will be disqualified.
- Theme: Include the theme, "Trees are Terrific Storytellers of the Past!" in the poster design. The theme must be free drawn and spelled correctly. Stencils, computer-generated letters and press-on letters are not acceptable. Check out the poster contest video.
- Contest rules and guidelines will be updated soon.
- Participation Guidelines
- Official Contest Rules
- Note: The essay portion of the contest has been removed.
- Online School Registration form
- or download School Registration Form
- Poster Entry Form
- School Report Form
The updated forms will be posted soon
- Northern region: Rich, Cache, Box Elder, Weber, Morgan, Davis, Summit and Daggett counties.
- Central region: Tooele, Salt Lake, Utah, Wasatch, Duchesne and Uintah counties.
- Southern region: Millard, Juab, Sanpete, Piute, Sevier, Beaver, Kane, Washington, Garfield, Iron, Carbon, Emery, Grand, Wayne and San Juan counties.
- School Contests: Each school must arrange for judging and prizes in its individual school contest. Each school may submit only one poster from each grade, K-6 and Special Ed, to the Utah Arbor Day Committee. Maximum poster entries are 8 per school. If we receive more than one poster per grade than the entire school will be disqualified.
- Regional Contests: State Arbor Day judges will select one region winner for each grade, K-6. One of these will be judged Best of Region.
- State Contest: Regional winners will be finalists in the state contest. Judges will select a statewide winner for each grade plus Special Education. Judges will choose a grand prize winner from the eight statewide winners.
- School Registrations: Schools must register for the Utah Arbor Day Contest by February 24, 2017.
- School Contests: Schools administer poster contest to determine best posters for each grade level. This should be completed by March 17, 2017
- State/Regional Contest: Schools must deliver winning posters by March 20, 2017, to:
Utah Arbor Day Committee
Division of Forestry, Fire & State Lands
1594 W North Temple Suite 3520
PO Box 145703
Salt Lake City, UT 84114-5703
Impartial judges for the regional and state contests are selected by the Utah Arbor Day Committee. Winners will be notified April 3-6, 2017. Judging is based on the following criteria:
- Theme: How well the theme "Trees are Terrific Storytellers of the Past!" is used in the poster.
- Design: Originality, composition, color and technique.
- Suitability for Reproduction: The grand prize poster will be professionally printed for statewide and national distribution. Bright colors, clear lettering and good spelling are important.
(Home schools are not eligible for school prizes)
- Best of Region (three): $500 for each winner's school.
- All Participating Schools: $50 tree coupon to purchase and plant a tree as part of school Arbor Day celebration
- State Grand Prize: Nursery gift card, framed poster, Arbor Day T-shirt, a certificate signed by the Governor and other prizes. Utah's grand prize poster will be professionally printed and sent to schools and Arbor Day celebrations throughout the state.
- State Winners: Nursery gift card, framed poster, Arbor Day T-shirt, a certificate signed by the Governor and other prizes.
- Regional Winners: Nursery gift card, Arbor Day T-shirt, a certificate and other prizes.
- All Regional Entries: Honorable Mention Certificate and pencil.
State first place winners and the grand prize winner will be invited to participate in the state Arbor Day ceremony. Best of Region winners will be recognized at their school celebration. All winners artwork will be highlighted on our website.
The Utah Arbor Day Committee has partnered with Project Learning Tree to provide four (4) free, age-appropriate activities to use alongside the Arbor Day Poster Contest. Activities include: Adopt a Tree, Plant a Tree, Forest for the Trees and 400 Acre Wood.
Teachers' Guide to Arbor Month
- Entire Guide- Grades K-6th
- Introductory Pages
- First Grade
- Second Grade
- Third Grade
- Fourth Grade
- Fifth Grade
- Sixth Grade